Monday, October 23, 2006

International Day


Brent and I, along with 3 others, were asked to judge a competition in which 6 teams of children grouped by grade displayed their knowledge of a chosen country. It was fun and interesting to watch how competitive they all were. These kids had really done their homework!! Our girls came to watch the process and had a lot of fun. When we announced the winners we couldn't believe the reaction!! It was so over the top. The winners were screaming and jumping around, and the teams that did not place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, oh boy. Can you say "sore losers"? Some were crying, some were moaning, and it was probably a good thing that we don't speak Spanish very well. I think we will avoid the school grounds for a bit! While I do understand the idea of healthy competition, I don't understand this way of doing things. The teacher's even get involved in the negative comments and so you understand the reactions of the students a little better. It was just another lesson in the difference in culture, and though we did have some negativity at the end, the rest of the morning was a great experience and that is what we will take away. A good friend of ours once said, "it's not good, it's not bad, it's just different."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, who did win? Which Country as
presented by which Grade? What a difficult job, as everyone looks so enthusiastic about their presentation!